Friday, December 22, 2006

I Steal My Students' Things


Last weekend, I went skiing with some friends. On the Friday before the trip, one of my students accidentally left a winter coat in my classroom. Because I didn't have a coat and I knew I was going skiing in cold weather, I borrowed my student's coat. I skied in the coat all weekend long and had an amazing time. When I returned to school on Monday, I slipped the coat into my lost and found box. The student arrived later that day and asked if I found a coat in the classroom. I nodded my head and pointed towards the box. The student picked up the jacket, examined it, and asked, "Umm...Mr. Substitute, has this jacket been here all weekend?"

I reply, "I think so. I wasn't here all weekend, so unless someone used this classroom over the weekend, it stayed here."

He said, "Well, there's a lift ticket on here for this past weekend for a ski resort in West Virginia. Do you know who borrowed my coat?"

I remembered the one rule a lawyer told me: Deny everything. I stuck to my story and replied, "I have no idea."

The student responded, "That's a shame. Whoever borrowed my coat left $20 in the pocket."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home