Monday, July 24, 2006

Teacher by Day. Dahmer by Night.

A student brought in a song that discusses the issues of racism that immigrants face today. The song spurred an hour-long debate on racism, featuring anecdotes, poignant comments, and my favorite intro to any comment: "I don't mean to be racist, but [insert a racist comment here.]"

One of my favorite comments came from my honest, no-holds-barred female black student. She said, "At least black people and other minorities will tell you if they're mad at you to your face. White people will do scary stuff like cut you up and eat you."

Later in the day, the students' noise level reached an all-time high. I shut off the lights and told the students, "You heard ______'s comment earlier. You don't want to make me angry. I might cut you up and eat you."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home