Monday, January 08, 2007

Romeo and Rosaline, the untold story

My students think Rosaline, the unrequited love interest of Romeo, in Shakespeare's classic is Hispanic; therefore, my latin female students are quite offended that she and Romeo do not fall in love with one another.

Today in class, a girl asked, "What does the white girl have that Rosaline doesn't?"

I replied, "Rosaline is not Hispanic. The story takes place in Verona. Everyone's Italian."

The girl thought for a moment before muttering, "Well, what does the white girl have that the Italian girl doesn't?"

Sigh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Substitute,

I saw a book at my school library, "Romeo's Ex: Rosaline's Story" or something close to that. Maybe your girls would be interested.

Love,
Your friendly 8th grade English teacher

May 02, 2007 8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home