Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round

A student who never completes his homework assignments on time has been asked to stay with me after school every Monday until he completes his missing work. The student has not arrived the past two weeks, so I called mom and left a message. Mom sends an e-mail back saying, "I'm sorry, he's not sure how the bus system works." I was perplexed by this response, especially since this student walks home. This is not an appropriate excuse or response. That's like if I didn't show up to class on time and said, "I'm sorry, my car's flux capacitor is broken." Second, how can he not be sure how the bus system works? Step #1: Find the right bus number. Step #2: Step on it. Step #3: Sit down. Step #4: Get off when you see your street. This student is in my sophomore honors class. Isn't learning how to take the bus home a skill students learn in kindergarten? Look how easily this little preschooler does it (picture right).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home